Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Volunteering in Matsushima: 6/23/12

YEAH!  Gordon and I were so happy to be traveling to Matsushima in Miyagi prefecture to volunteer for the second time! We fell in love with this beautiful area last time (see our past blog about volunteering in Miyagi) and were excited to go back and do some more work!

Here are some pictures from our trip...

Gordon, I and Hiyashi ready to start!
Headed to the beach.
Picking up lots of sticks and debris. Another beautiful day in Matsushima!
Sticks. And more sticks. Oh, did I mention there were lots of sticks on the beach!
Where'd he come from?!
More surfers! I enjoyed watching them surf while I picked up sticks!
During a water break, I looked for sea shells near the water.
Other volunteers working hard gathering sticks.
Lunch break! We hopped back on the bus to eat lunch and head to our next volunteer site. Today's bento: hamburger, rice, egg, broccoli, pickles and spaghetti.
Debris and water left from the tsunami.
A makeshift landfill; where all the debris gets dumped.
Our next task was to weed around baby sunflowers. This is the sign we put up next to the hill of sunflowers.
Hiyashi, Gordon and Fumiko taking a break.
The sign going up! All those green leafy things will be beautiful sunflowers soon!
After we were done with our work, we went into town for a short visit. Gordon and I saw this temple (Godaido Temple) from the street and had to check it out!
This bridge leading to the temple is supposed to be unlucky. HAHAHA! Gordon and I laugh in the face of danger!
On second thought... this is kind of scary!
The temple. 
The view. :)
Gordon and I had yet another wonderful experience volunteering. The work was a little harder this time, but that just makes it feel more rewarding after a long day. I hope Gordon and I can show our friends and family Matsushima one day. Its definitely one of the most beautiful places in Japan.

Gordon and I already saw progress being made since our last visit. Remember last time we saw this house being built?


Well, now that house is almost finished! Its amazing how fast people can turn around, work hard and rebuild!

2 comments:

  1. Hi there! My husband and I are trying to find an organization to volunteer with in the Matsushima area. Could you tell me which organization you worked with? Domo arigatou gosaimasu!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello! Our Japanese friend set everything up, so I'm not sure of the organization's name. I will try and find out. Its a Japanese organization, so they only speak Japanese. Our friend helped translate everything.

    ReplyDelete