Friday, April 20, 2012

Exploring Chiba Prefecture/Golden Week

The first week of May is Golden Week in Japan. Golden Week is a culmination of several holidays including the Emperor's birthday, Showa Day and Constitution Memorial Day, among others.

Students and teachers have off and get a nice vacation. Gordon and I have been trying to decide what we will do with this glorious week of freedom.

Ever since Gordon and I arrived in Japan, we've been trying to make the most of our free time and explore as much of Japan as possible, in particular, our prefecture, Chiba.

So far we've been to several cities in Chiba such as: Chiba City, Sakura, Katori City, Sawara, Choshi, Asahi, Narita and Makuhari, but that doesn't even begin to scratch the surface.

There are many more cities to explore in Chiba and so much to do. Gordon and I still have to make it down to the southern end of Chiba (I heard there are excellent beaches!)

For those of you who don't know about Chiba, or even where it is, here's a short introduction...

File:Map of Japan with highlight on 12 Chiba prefecture.svg
There's Chiba!


This is Chiba's mascot, Chiba-kun. Notice the shape?

チーバくん
Is he a dog or a bear? I'm not sure, but I think he's cute.

Gordon and I both wore a Chiba-kun pin for the Tokyo Marathon to show our Chiba pride!

Chiba-kun is running through the white tape at the finish line.
Chiba-kun close-up.


Chiba is also known for its peanuts. I can easily find peanuts anywhere, including many types of sweets!

Peanuts.


That's Chiba in a nut shell. No pun intended. Wherever Gordon and I decide to go in Chiba, I'll be sure to let you know :)


No comments:

Post a Comment