Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Edamame, a food best served with beer?


In America, edamame is often served at Japanese-style restaurants as an appetizer or a side, and it’s usually served hot with a little side of (sea) salt. I love it, almost as much as I do jalapenos. Ever since arriving in Japan in late July, I’ve gotten some surprising looks or laughs when telling people I particularly enjoy eating edamame. “What’s so funny?” I’d think to myself.

When I started teaching September 1, every class at the junior high school and at the elementary school started with my introduction (in English and then in Japanese) and followed with lots of questions from the students. A common question would always be “What are your favorite foods in Japan?” My answer would usually include one to five different foods I enjoyed, and the list would usually start with edamame. Following “edamame” would come a roar of laughter from the students (and teacher). “Does no one eat or like edamame?”, I thought.

Regardless, I began to use it as a good ice-breaker. Most of the students and some of the teachers are shy and not used to interacting with a foreigner. I was told when I arrived here that some of the students might even be afraid of me. Anyways, the edamame joke has become useful in getting the students to loosen up and practice their English and ask questions. “Don’t be afraid to ask questions in the classroom or after class, and please don’t be shy” I tell them. “I’m the one who should be shy. I’m the foreigner.”

I recently started appointing random students to my imaginary “Edamame Friends Club”, and the students get a great laugh out of it—and some even seem honored with their new association. These appointments are usually random and happen when students do a good job during a lesson or when I’m trying to get a student to break out of his or her shell. Sometimes between classes, those students remind me that they’re in the club, some saying “I’m number one edamame friend”.

Just in the last few days I’ve figured out why it’s so funny to the Japanese that I like edamame. A couple friends who speak decent English explained to me that edamame is typically only eaten with beer, and it’s also associated with older men. So edamame is known as a food usually eaten by old men only when drinking beer. While out to dinner, my new friends tell me that it’s possible that my students think that I teach class and then go home and drink beer. Oh well. With my newfound knowledge, I proceed to order some edamame, and a cold one.

A gift Tomoka-chan from English club gave me. Edamame crackers!

No comments:

Post a Comment